We are really happy to announce that the Drupal 8 Pilot infrastructure is already open. So please feel free to start requesting one and create those great websites you always wanted to have.
How to request one Drupal 8 website?
In order to request a Drupal 8 pilot website, you just need to go to webservices portal https://cern.ch/web and select as creation option "Drupal 8 (Pilot)"
There is a new functionality that will let you choose the type of website you want to instanciate, for the moment only two options are available, Blank site and Demo template. But new site types will arrive in the future to tailor specific use cases out of the box.
Please find here the difference between them:
- Similar to current Drupal 7 websites.
- Empty fresh site, without any extra functionality.
- SSO and new CERN Theme enabled by default
- Precreate website created by IR-ECO-CO
- Built on top of a Blank site
- Used as showroom of the new CERN Theme options and features
Migrate existing Drupal 7 website into Drupal 8 pilot
We have evaluated the migration framework provided by Drupal community, https://www.drupal.org/docs/8/upgrade/, and even it evolved pretty well still it's not and never will be a full migration of existing Drupal 7 website. So will be better to clarify here how to request the migration and what to expect from the migration.
How to migrate my existing Drupal 7 website?
In order to migrate your Drupal 7 website these are the steps to follow:
- Request a new Drupal 8 Pilot website, for this use case please select "Blank site" profile. This website will be later used to get the migration from the Drupal 7 site.
- Once you receive the confirmation message that the website is created, open a request with Drupal infrastructure via service-now https://cern.service-now.com/service-portal/report-ticket.do?name=request&se=Drupal-Service.
- In order to quickly resolve the request please include in the request the Drupal 7 sitename and the Drupal 8 sitename created in step 1.
What to expect?
There are lot of things from your existing Drupal 7 website that will be migrated and therefore will save a lot of time, but it's not perfect and there are few things to take into account.
Things to remark that are not migrated, see more here https://www.drupal.org/docs/8/upgrade/known-issues-when-upgrading-from-drupal-6-or-7-to-drupal-8#d7_to_d8:
- Views, it was decided by the community that Views were too complicated to migrate and therefore they need to be recreated manually by the administrators, more details: https://www.drupal.org/project/drupal/issues/2500547
- Theme and theme related settings, unless your site is using a community theme that provides the upgrade path (which seems unlikely) the theme and it's related settings won't be migrated. Please also note that for the moment there is no migration path implemented for the CERN theme.
- Custom modules
Which should work fine includes, content migration, menus, users and permissions, sso settings, blocks.
What to give feedback?
Please use Entice forums for any question regarding with the new infrastructure and themes.
A Feedback form will be provided in the comming hours via this announcement and if possible integrated withing the CERN theme of your website.
For giving feedback using this article, click the button on the right.